Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Will Work for Money

I started straight out of high school at an air conditioning and heating company, doing customer service. All of the jobs I’ve held have had some element of customer service involved with them. After I had Charlie I stayed at home, until we could no longer afford for me to. For the past three and a half years I’ve worked for a group home as a child care worker. I only work nights on the weekends, so my time during the day can be spent with Charlie. My current job is vastly different from the office setting I worked in before, and is usually pretty horrible.
With Charlotte getting older, I’ve decided to resume my full time work.
I was shocked by the employment wall that I plowed right into. Nobody will hire me. I’ve faxed my resume everywhere, and filled out every application I can get my hands on. Three plus years of child care work has really screwed me. Apparently being a mom or working with kids makes me inept when it comes to answering a phone. It’s hard that no one will give me the chance to prove that I’m a strong worker. The job market is terrible, and I’m at a loss for what to do. I’m even considering putting myself into a bit of debt, so I can attend a career training college.
What can I put in a cover letter that will convey this situation to any potential employers? I’m still professional, and always a reliable worker- I just want a chance, without having to beg pathetically. If anything, being a mom has made me stronger at what I do. My patience is off the charts these days…. 
Any ideas?

0 comments: