Monday, April 16, 2012

DIY Owl Plush




My niece Haylee had her second birthday this past month, and I was completely strapped for cash for a gift. I have a three drawer container that is full of different pieces of fabric (all of which only cost $5 from a yard sale), so I decided I’d try my hand in plush-making. An owl seemed to be just the right animal.



Charlie helping Haylee blow out the candles.

I used manila envelopes and paper scraps to draw out the shapes of my pattern. I tried to make it as basic and simple as possible, just cutting out shapes for the body, eyes, belly, and wings.







I secured the eyes, belly, and beak to the front piece of fabric. I sewed all of the features of the owl on before I sewed the body together. I pinned the front and back together inside out and started sewing. I added little wings in the seam, and two flower embellishments to the eyes. I used stuffing from an old unneeded pillow, and hand stitched the final opening shut.

I’m really happy with the finished product, and I think Haylee loved the owl too. She even put on her owl jammies to match her new friend. It was easier than I thought it would be, and I can’t wait to make something else. I now have a special bunny in the works for Charlie, and it’s going to be so awesome.

0 comments: